Saturday, August 16, 2014

Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá - San Diego, California

Last week I shared with you my shots of the super moon from my first of many weekly photo-dates with my friend, Jamie. If you missed it you can see those here. This week we went to explore the oldest Mission in California; the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá which was founded in 1769. When Jamie and I first pulled up around 6:00 p.m. we were immediately disappointed to see that the huge trees surrounding the church were casting massive shadows on the building. This may not sound like a big deal but the shadows were very distracting. Neither of us expected to get much out of the trip after that but ended up being very pleasantly surprised. It turns out in addition to the church the mission also has a beautiful gardens and lots of statues. There were many different kinds of flowers, aloe bushes and even a pomegranate tree. 
I really enjoyed exploring this little piece of San Diego's history. 
Here are my favorite shots from our visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment