Monday, September 8, 2014

Naval Training Center San Diego

Jamie and I headed out this week with the intention of photographing Old Town. Unfortunately an art and music festival this weekend brought tons of people and no parking so we needed to quickly adjust our plans. It was Jamie's week to pick our destination and since we were losing daylight fast Jame decided that we should head to the old Navy Training Center. She started telling me about how her grandfather had attended boot camp there when he was in the Navy. Neat! The base has long since been closed and re-purposed into a glorified shopping center however many of the original buildings still remain having been designated as historic by the city of San Diego. It wasn't until we were just about there that it hit me; Eric's Grandfather had also attended boot camp here! I was almost giddy by the time we arrived. I have talked with Grandpa for many hours about his time in the Navy loving the stories that he tells and the pictures that he has shown me. How cool to be able to see the place that it had began for him. While photographing I made it my goal to shoot buildings that I was sure he'd recognize and also to capture just how much it had changed. Can't wait to share these with him when we are in Colorado in just a few short weeks. As is typical of our shoots in San Diego this trip was full of gorgeous flowers, lush landscaping and an incredible sunset.












No comments:

Post a Comment